CAMPTON, NH November 16, 2022 - White Mountain National Forest officials are welcoming the public to select and cut a Christmas tree on the White Mountain NF (WMNF) with the purchase of a $5.00 permit. Permits are available for purchase on-line (an additional $2.50 service fee applies) or in-person at a WMNF office. Fourth graders with an “Every Kid Outdoors” pass are eligible for a free Christmas tree permit and can apply by entering the pass or voucher number when purchasing a permit.
- Permits can be purchased online or in-person at a WMNF office
- Only 1 permit issued per household per year. Trees are for personal use only, not for resale. Each family may cut one tree per permit per year.
- Use only hand tools to cut Christmas trees. Chainsaws are not permitted.
- Make sure you are on National Forest land. Respect the rights of landowners when crossing private property.
- Do not cut trees within 100 feet of: campgrounds, picnic areas, trailheads or developed recreation areas, experimental forests, designated wilderness areas, water bodies, active timber sales.
- Do not cut trees within 100 feet of paved roads and 50 feet from dirt roads.
- When you purchase the permit ask if there are any known "off limit" areas.
- Do not cut trees larger than 6 inches in diameter at chest height. Pack down limb piles low enough so they are within 2 feet of the ground.
- Cut your tree so remaining stumps will be less than 10" in height.
Be prepared for winter -- dress appropriately in warm clothing and make your day a safe one!
White Mountain National Forest Offices
Pemigewasset Ranger District -- 71 White Mountain Drive – Campton, NH-- 603-536-6100
Saco Ranger District -- 33 Kancamagus Highway -- Conway, NH -- 603-447-5448
Androscoggin Ranger District -- 300 Glen Rd. -- Gorham, NH -- 603-466-2713
# # # #